What are the browser requirements to run GainLink.com?
Desktops & Notebooks:
GainLink.com is built on the web standards. We recommend standard-compliant browsers such as Firefox, Safari and Chrome to enjoy GainLink.com to its fullest extent. Using Microsoft Internet Explorer, this service fully functions but looks a bit less attractive :)
The screen width needs to be at least 960 pixels wide to avoid horizontal scroll bars.
GainLink.com supports viewing on iPhone or iPod Touch's Safari browser with optimized pages/themes.
Do you have GainLink.com in my language?
We currently provide English interface only. We'll support other languages in the future.
What is a bookmarklet?
Visit our bookmarklet page to install the "Gain Link" bookmarklet.
How do I use the GainLink Bookmarklet?
How to install:
To use the "Gain Link" bookmarklet, you need to install it first. Follow this "Bookmarklet" link, and you will see instructions about how to install the "Gain Link" bookmarklet in your browser's bookmark toolbar.
How to use:
When you come up with a site that you want to save to one of your GainLink.com pages, click the "Gain Link" bookmarklet on your bookmark toolbar. It will show you a pop-up window and you will be able to modify saving options. Image on the right shows a preview of how "Gain Link" bookmarklet looks like.
Tweeting from Bookmarklet:
Our GainLink.com bookmarklet also works as a Twitter client, and you can post URLs (or any text) to your Twitter page from it. To use this feature, you need to do an one-time-set-up for Twitter connection, from SNS section in your account settings page.
Creating & Managing Pages
What is a Page?
In GainLink.com, a Page is the largest unit of bookmark management. The concept of a 'page' is similar to a folder. It is a collection of groups of bookmarks. It's your choice what array of links to put in it. However, the best practice is to collect relevant links into a page so that the page remains manageable.
There are three types of pages:
- General page
Every page you create falls into this category. You can change its settings and themes.
- Trash bin page
A trash bin page is provided to every user. Links and groups deleted from other pages will be sent to this page. This is an innate part of the system, so you cannot delete or change its settings.
- Archived page
When your Premium account expires, your pages will be reverted to the Basic account type. Since a Basic account allows up to three pages per user, all pages in addition to this amount will be changed to the 'Archived' state. You can view & export your archived pages, but editing features are suspended.
- General page
How do I create a new page?
In the Dashboard, click the "+ Start a New Page" link.
Every page needs to have a unique URL of its own.
How do I show or hide my page from other people?
Go to the Settings page, and select one of the Publicity options:
- Public: This page will be listed on the Popular / Search Results. Anyone can view this page.
- Unlisted: Your page is not listed on the Popular / Search Results. However, those who have the URL of this page can see this page.
- Log-in Required: This is your private page and only you can view this page. This page will not be listed on Popular / Search Results.
The default publicity setting for a newly created page is Public.
Is there a limit to the number of pages I can create?
It depends on your account type.
- For a Basic account (free), up to three pages are allowed per user.
- For a Premium account, there is no limit as to the number of pages per user.
The Premium Trial account type is identical to the Premium account.
How do I change the display order of my pages on the Dashboard?
You can reorder your pages on the Dashboard. Drag and drop page boxes to give it a new order, and the order is automatically saved. The Trash Bin is a special page and its position is fixed.
Organizing Links & Groups
What is the Inbox group?
Every page has an Inbox group. The 'Inbox' group has various purposes.
- Items sent from other pages will be placed in the inbox.
- Suggested links will be sent to the Inbox.
- When you add a new link from the "Gain Link" bookmarklet, the default target group is the Inbox.
It's Private by default, so it's not displayed to other users, even if your page is set to Public. You can change its name or color. However, since the Inbox is an innate part of the GainLink.com system, you cannot move or delete it.
How do I move out all the links from the Inbox?
How do I add new link to my page?
There are three ways to do this.
- Use our "Gain Link" bookmarklet. Visit any web page and click "Gain Link" bookmarklet to save the current page URL into one of your pages.
- If you are in Organize mode, click the "+ Add a new link" button from one of the groups.
- Lastly, you can import your existing bookmarks from your browser. Export your bookmarks from your browser, and use the Import feature.
How do I delete links or groups?
On the Organize page, put your mouse pointer over the link or group of your interest. Click the icon to move it to the Trash Bin.
The deleted links or groups are kept in the Trash Bin for two weeks. If you deleted a link or group by accident, you can go to the Trash Bin and move it back to the original page.
If you delete a link or group from your Trash Bin, the deletion is permanent.
How do I change the order of links and/or groups?
Links can be moved by dragging them. You can place links in any group. You can send them to one of your pages by dropping them on the My Pages sidebar.
Groups can also be moved. However, the Inbox is a special group that cannot be moved and is always placed at the top of the page.
How do I move links or groups to another page?
On the Organize page, drag a link of interest and drop it onto the My Pages sidebar. The dropped link will be placed in the Inbox of the target page. You can also move groups to the other pages in the same way.
Can I undelete links or groups?
Deleted items are sent to the Trash Bin and will be kept there for two weeks.
Go to the Trash Bin and drag-drop the items back on to your desired pages.
How many bookmarks can I store on my page?
When the performance of the system starts to seem sluggish, you have likely reached the limit. We think the ideal number of items per page is around 100.
However, for performance reasons, we may set a hard limit on the number of links per page in the future.
How do I change the color of links or groups?
Open an edit form by clicking on a link or group of interest. Then click the [ ] color link to see a color wheel.
If you have a hexadecimal color code, you can type(or paste) it in to the text field.
If you wish to remove color, then click the Clear button in the color wheel window.
What is a Theme?
A theme is a select design template (or skin) that renders your links and groups into a visually organized presentation. GainLink.com provides various themes for visual & functional needs.
How do I change the theme of my page?
Once you create a page, you will see a Themes menu for that page.
The Themes menu provides two types of themes:
- For standard (desktop) web browsers such as Firefox, Chrome or Internet Explorer
- For iPhone & iPod Touch devices
If you are an iPhone / iPod Touch user, you are probably interested in setting a preferred 'iPhone / iPodd Touch' theme for the page.
When you visit a page with an iPhone or iPod Touch device, 'iPhone / iPod Touch' themes are automatically applied. You can deactivate 'iPhone / iPod Touch' themes by clicking Switch to Standard View link on the bottom of the page.
What is the iPhone theme?
When a user's page is viewed from an iPhone or iPod touch, GainLink.com automatically uses a "iPhone / iPod Touch" theme to present the page. The "iPhone / iPod Touch" themes are specially crafted themes for iPhone and iPod Touch's Safari browser.
What is a Basic account?
A Basic account is a free, ad-supported account. There is no subscription or sign-up fee. Basic account users can use most of the core features of GainLink.com.
The limitations of the Basic account type are:
- The user can have up to three pages.
- Advertisements will be placed in the pages.
- Premium theme are unavailable.
- The "Automatic Daily Page Back-up via Email" feature is unavailable.
What is the advantage of having a Premium account?
A Premium account has all of the features of a Basic account, plus:
- No advertisements on the user's page
- An unlimited number of pages per account
- Premium Themes are available
- Automatic daily page back-up via email (optional)
- 24/7 priority email support
- 20% discount when extending the membership
How do I change my account information?
Log in and then go to http://gainlink.com/user
How can I change my password?
You can change your password at http://gainlink.com/user. If you forget your password, reset it at http://gainlink.com/forgot_password.
How can I remove my account?
Please do the following:
- Delete all the links on your Primary page.
- Delete all the other pages.
- Send an empty email to [email protected] with the title:
In the future, we'll provide an automated process for account withdrawal.
Tip and Tricks
Set GainLink.com as your browser start page.
Open the following location and edit the Homepage field in your preferred browser:
- Mozilla Firefox
- Tools menu > Options… > General tab > Start Up frame > Home Page
- Google Chrome
- Wrench icon > Options > Basics tab > Home page > Open this page
- Preferences… > General tab > Home page
- Preferences… > General tab > Home Page
- Microsoft Internet Explorer
- Tools menu > Internet Option > General tab > Home page
How do you store my password?
GainLink.com stores your password in hashed form. It's mathematically improbable for someone to retrieve your password from this hashed form.
How do you connect to my Twitter account?
A GainLink.com to Twitter connection is established using OAuth protocol which is used by major SNS & OpenID services. Thanks to OAuth, GainLink.com only stores a ciphered token for your Twitter connection, which is completely unrelated to both your Twitter and your GainLink.com passwords.
If you want to revoke the established connection between GainLink.com and Twitter.com, use either of the following methods:
- In GainLink.com, go to Account Settings, and click the Disconnect button under the SNS/Twitter section
- Or, in Twitter, go to Settings, click the Connections tab, and click the Revoke Access link under "GainLink.com by GainLink Team"
* If you want to connect to Twitter after revoking the connection, you need to consent to the connection again.
What if I forget logging out from a public computer?
You can remotely log out from all other computers. Check the Forget and log me out from all other computers option when you log in.
Every user in GainLink.com has an invisible 'key' that is used for validating their sessions/cookies. With the "Forget and log me out from all other computers" option, the 'key' will be changed to a new one as soon as you log in, and this action will result in invalidating all the previous sessions/cookies:
- You'll be logged out from all the other computers.
- Remember Me cookies set on all the other computers will become ineffective.
Do you provide protection against XSS?
To protect users from XSS (Cross-Site Scripting) attacks, we filter user input through HTML Purifier, which is known to be the most rigorous Anti-XSS filter system available.
Do you provide IP-based session protection?
Each logged-in user access is checked against the originating IP address used at the moment of logging in. Doing this helps deter session hijack attempts performed by malicious code injection, such as XSS. (We also filter user input through an anti-XSS filter.)
Can I use SSL connection?
GainLink.com supports SSL connection. You can use the GainLink.com service via the more secure HTTPS mode - https://gainlink.com.
However, because the server uses a self-signed SSL certificate, and it's not from a popular issuer (such as VERISIGN), your browser will show you a warning message. For instance, Firefox will show the following:
This Connection is Untrusted
You have asked Firefox to connect
securely to gainlink.com, but we can't confirm that your connection is secure.
You can safely ignore this message, because the purpose here is to use an HTTPS connection, and the SSL certification issuer is of no importance.
Click "I Understand the Risk" and "Add Exception."